EP40: Absence of Community & Purpose of Higher Education
Is the absence of “community” a major problem in America today? Have college sports programs perverted the purpose of higher education? Is this truly the end of Phew’s aspirations for a career as a comedian? Listen in to find out!
Cancel Culture Run Amok
- Shane Gillis fired from SNL before he ever appeared on a single episode
- Reporter went back through Gillis’ entire social media history and found one instance in which he used a racial slur
- Phew: I’m so cancelled just because I am on this show
- Unc: I had one goal when we started this podcast back in 2016: to eliminate any possibility of Phew ever having a career in professional stand up comedy
Slow Suicide of the Old Gray Lady
- Meanwhile, the New York Times can hire someone who has openly Tweeted things like “White people should all die,” and there’s no problem with that
- We (liberals) can’t get our house in order
- Even liberal media sources are starting to state publicly that the bias has gone too far
New York Times Daily Podcast
- Ridiculous story on daily podcast
- Who is this story supposed to be for?
- Checking boxes of things to trigger liberals
Triggering for the Sake of Triggering
- How many angering, triggering things can they include in one paragraph?
- There are obvious biases in their reporting
- Liberal elites patting themselves in their ivory tower about how morally superior their position is
Unc: Phew is so thoughtful
- Unc: Phew is a very thoughtful person
- Only one who sent Unc flowers in the hospital after his motorcycle accident
- Crazy things seem normal because a narrative gets put forth, and so many people just go along with it
Happening in NYC
- What’s happening in NYC right now in terms of reopening
- Really challenging rent situation in NYC right now
- Guest on Sam Harris’ Making Sense podcast, Daniel Markovits, a law professor at Yale
- There should be a one-time wealth tax in America, right now
Absence of Community
- “We are all in this together”
- A sense of community that is missing or absent from right now
- Bill Beteet’s noted love for America
- We take the greatness of America for granted
On what should public policy be based?
- We should not be reshaping policy based on extraordinary events that may never happen again in our lifetimes
- Which is more extraordinary: the period of unprecedented economic expansion in America from 1945 to 2019, or that things will tend toward crisis?
- Stress-testing idealogical positions
- Not seeing the value in wanting to participate in that system of “college – debt – living with debt”
- Either you have capitalism, or you don’t
The crazy cost of higher education
- Colleges competing for students
- College debt is the most collectible debt there is
- Colleges can just keep spending, as long as students are willing to take on essentially any amount of debt to participate in the higher education process
- At University of Michigan, some of the dorms are like 5 star hotels
- Similar at University of Colorado
What is the purpose of higher education?
- The profit motive warps everything
- The amount of money paid to university officials
- Capitalism is so clearly the best option
- Grossly overpaid: professional athletes
Highest-paid public official? Head football coach
- Typically, the highest paid public official in a given state is the head coach of the most successful college football program in that state
- What do you do as a college football coach?
- You take a bunch of para-adolescents and teach them how to run into each other well
Why do universities exist?
- What is the purpose of a university?
- Maximizing income for the people at the top echelon of the school?
- Application of the Napoleonic code
How did we get here?
- Football is the cash cow
- How we got here
- Football just grew organically to become the monster that it is today
- Is a successful program a “cancerous growth”?
The brand value of a college
- Nothing but respect for University of Michigan as an institution
- What is the value of the brand that has been created around the University of Michigan
- The divisiveness that exists today
- How it keeps progress from happening
Guns at protests? Bad optics
- Carrying guns at protests
- There is no reason to do that
- What’s missing in all of this: the sense of community
- How the NRA has changed in recent years
- An ideological split within the IRA at some point, and the more aggressive faction won
CATCH UP ON OTHER UNCPHEW PODCASTS IN THE PLAYER BELOW!